*EDIT* – I am getting many comments about my recipe missing ingredients. This recipe is a copycat of Rao’s SENSITIVE recipe, not their original recipe! The SENSITIVE recipe is the low carb and allergy conscious version!
Howdy friends! ♥
I’VE DONE IT! With a lot of research, as well as, trial and error, I have uncovered the secret to Rao’s famous low carb marinara recipe! The Rao’s marinara brand is way over priced in my opinion and just about all of my fellow #ketofam agree. $7.99 for a jar of marinara sauce is just plain ridiculous…Of course, in order to truly replicate the recipe, I HAD to buy the expensive tomato sauce mixture. *sigh* I just about died. BUT FEAR NOT, it was very much worth it! Release your inner Italian!
***FYI, the macros are not exact! I played around with the recipe and made many calculations, but I was unable to achieve exact numbers. However, the decimals are fairly close! Also, manufacturers are allowed to omit the exact decimal value of a macro if it can be round down. (i.e. 3 g Net carbs can be anywhere from 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, or 3.5 g) We would never honestly know for sure the true value on a nutritional chart because of this. That is why I always account for an additional .5 g in every given food item. Just a tip!***
I would like to also mention my reasoning for measuring in weight (grams) as opposed to the more desired cooking measurements (i.e. Tbsp, tsp, oz). In order to achieve exact macro calculations, it is best to measure the weight of each ingredient. In addition, this reassures YOUR doubts and allows better tracking of your daily macros (if you do so).
As always, your Likes, Shares, Comments, and Subscribes are super appreciated! Thank you so much #ketofam XOXO
– 28 oz Plum Tomatoes, Peeled (Lowest priced brand I found was the Kroger Private Selection (aprox. $1.67), but I recommend the Cento San Marzano brand (aprox. $3.89) for a more true to taste flavor)
– 67.5 g (5 Tbsp) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) + 1 Tbsp to coat pan
– 25 g (1/2 small) Carrot
– 17 g (small) Celery
– 3 g (1/2 tsp) Pink Salt
– 3 g (1/2 tsp) Ground Black Pepper
– 2 g (3 medium leaves) Fresh Basil
1) Add 1 Tbsp EVOO to medium size pot on medium-high heat. Cover bottom of pot with the added EVOO.
2) Add finely chopped carrots and celery with salt and pepper. Sauté until tender.
3) Once tender, add can of tomatoes along with the juices.
4) Carefully mash the mixture until tomatoes are mostly crushed.
5) Add chopped fresh basil to mixture. Stir mixture to combine.
6) Add rest of EVOO to mixture and stir to combine.
7) Reduce to low heat and allow mixture to simmer for 45-60 minutes. Stir occasionally.
8) Remove from heat.
9) OPTIONAL: Blend mixture for a creamier and smoother marinara.
10) Enjoy the marinara any way you like!
***Feel free to #ketofy the recipe even more by adding a few cubes of butter or additional EVOO to increase the fat content.***
– 1.2 g Protein
– 10.8 g Fat
– 3.6 g Net Carbs
Kitchen and Food Scale
Salt & Pepper Grinder
Stainless Steel Pot
Note – Some of my links will be affiliate marketing links. These links do not affect the price of the products or services referred to but may offer commissions that are used to help fund production of the cooking tutorials. – Thank you for your support!
Author Credit – Instagram Logo
a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/instagram-icon_954290.htm”Designed by Ibrandify/a