Large Family Meal Prep – 21 Meals PLUS sides!
Freezer meal prep is something I’ve taken advantage of for years now! Whether it be freezer meal prep for the postpartum; while juggling motherhood and university or work; or to free up more fun time for the holidays, having a well-stocked freezer, full of home-made, nutritious meals has been a ‘game-changer’!
Some of the major benefits of freezer meal prep include:
– SAVING MONEY (great for any time, right?!). This is due to a number of factors. Firstly, a well-stocked freezer runs more efficiently, saving on your power bill. Secondly, by purchasing bulk items to double, triple, or even quadruple your recipes, you will save on grocery costs. TIP – you could even plan your freezer meals around great meat deals or half-price deals on groceries! Grab that deal, and make the most of it! Thirdly, having your freezer stocked with home-made meals means you are less likely to order take-away, or reach for more expensive convenience foods (so, it is also a healthier option for busy times!).
– SAVING TIME. Again, for a number of reasons! Firstly, by cooking in bulk, you get more done in less time – WISE! Secondly, by going to a little effort to get that freezer stocked, you free up future meal planning, shopping, cooking and cleaning time – What is better than that? Seriously – I have freezer meal prepped just to enjoy more time on the beach in summer (mostly with slow cooker meals, as it doesn’t heat the house up in warmer weather). It was fantastic to spend the day in the sun with my family, and then to come home to a meal that had been bubbling away in the slow cooker while we enjoyed life, ready to fill our hungry bellies!
– It will SAVE YOU EFFORT! Sometimes this is the crucial point! Whether you’ve just had a baby, are recovering from surgery, or just have too much on your plate for all that life throws at us, to know the work is done and your family will be fed is a very comforting feeling. And don’t forget the meal preparation mess that just won’t exist – BLISS!
So, let me give you the run-down of the ten different meals I made to enjoy during my up-coming postpartum. I made two of each, but three of one, resulting in 21 slow-cooker freezer meals.
Meatloaf [I doubled this recipe to make two freezer meals]:
1.5kg (or 3.3lb) ground beef
1/4 cup breadcrumbs OR crumbled weet biscuits OR oats (OR crumbled pork rinds for a low-carb option)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 pkt dry onion soup mix
1 can condensed tomato soup
– mix all ingredient and bind together well. Form into a loaf and freeze in a labelled zip-lock bag.
When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge for a number of hours (such as overnight) before taking out of zip-lock bag and placing in an oven dish, then into a pre-heated moderate oven and cooking for around an hour, or until fully cooked. Serve with your favourite sides.
PIZZA CASSEROLE [I made a double-batch, to make two freezer meals]:
– 1.5kg (or 3.3lb) ground beef
– 1 green bell pepper, diced
– 1 red bell pepper, diced
– 1 large onion, diced
– 150g diced salami or pepperoni
– 300g sliced mushrooms
– 1 teaspoon pepper
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 2 tablespoons dried oregano
– 200g sliced black olives
– 1 x 700g jar passata (OR pizza) sauce
Add all ingredients to a zip-lock bag and place in freezer. To cook, thaw in fridge before placing contents of bag in slow cooker and cooking on ‘high’ for 3-4 hours, or ‘low’ for 4-6 hours.
– Serve on pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Chickpea Pumpkin Red Lentil Curry:
Red Pork Curry:
Lemon Pesto Chicken:
Cilantro (Coriander) Lime Chicken:
Chicken Tikka Masala:
Mexican Pulled Pork:
In the coming weeks, I will be creating two additional freezer meal prep videos, as I continue to stock that freezer well! These videos will include pre-cooked meals and pasta sauces, school lunch items, snacks, cakes, and even lactation cookies! Nesting much?!
Thank you so much for joining me. Please subscribe for updates on all my new videos, including those up-coming freezer meal prep ones!